Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So Not Thankful Right Now

Seems like when it rains, it pours. In fact, today's weather is rainy and gloomy all around. But that's not what's got me down at the moment. The fact that we are headed back to the pediatrician again this afternoon for another suspected ear infection has got me gloomy. Honestly, I'm at my wit's end dealing with these darn things!

It all started three nights ago...this time with Kathryn. Just two weeks ago (to the day) we were at the pediatrician's for Isaac's double ear infection. Not to mention our repeat visits in December for the same purposes! She finally admitted last night her ears hurt (but only while half asleep)! Poor thing! I can't blame her...after her experience in December, she's got to be wondering if she will be subjected to a three day regimen of antibiotic shots.

And because of these repeat occurrences, I'm now wondering if we need to withdraw from all group activities until Spring. Seriously! I kept the kids out of church while we had a break from MMO in December b/c I wanted them healthy for Christmas. Do I need to implement the same policy for the remaining months of Winter? I know each time they catch a cold they are building their immune systems, but right now, it seems each time they catch a cold, they develop ear infections. And putting them on round after round of antibiotics can't be good for them. And I'm not a proponent of tube insertion. So here I am, frustrated to the point of tears and ready to hermit my children. Do I stick it out and keep throwing them back into the mix after dosing them up with antibiotics, hoping that all will be much better once the weather warms up? Or do I throw in the towel and put us on lock down? I'm really praying for a break...a break that last longer than two weeks...and a dose of thankfulness too.

2 comments:

Melissa Ann said...

We're on the same cycle right now. As much as I've feared tubes... I'm so glad we're going to do it. These poor babies have been through a ton 4-5 ear infections apiece in less than 4 months. And I haven't slept a full night in for more than 2-3 weeks since September! I'm so tired of constant antibiotics too. Anyhow, I'm not saying you should do tubes as the decision is solely personal, but I do hope you fine some resolution soon. I know how hard it is. But I will say that regardless: facing surgery tomorrow for them, the washing machine broken, my camera broken, and not having slept through the night in five night now (after only a 2 night reprieve), that saying thank you for what I've been blessed with is absolutely the only thing keeping me going.

crystal said...

I know exactly how you feel. It seems you get over one cold and here comes another one. I am telling you the first year while I was working and the boys were in daycare they stayed sick. But since we got the tubes in their ears it has made a world of difference. We still get colds ever know and then. I think it's just from them being in the MMO and being around all the germs. I would just hang in there... You know what spring brings - PINK EYE...