Yesterday, the kids and I planted the first vegetable we hope to grow this year....English Peas! We are container gardening again this year and even though our attempt at growing peas last year failed (due to some pesky bugs that I didn't catch early enough), we are giving them a go again this year. I'm a card carrying member of the "You Live and You Learn" Society so I'm prepared for those little suckers this year!
Anyhow, Isaac and Kathryn really enjoyed placing/dropping each individual seed into it's own little hole. (I was responsible for covering said holes.) They were extremely patient during the entire process and took direction quite well. I'm looking forward to planting the rest of this year's crop with them in the months to come!
Here's what I've got planned for our 2011 gardens...
Bed One:
Sweet Corn
Okra
Half Runners
Limas
Crowder Peas
English Peas
Bed Two:
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Summer Squash
Zucchini
Banana Peppers (sweet & hot)
Cucumbers
Individual Containers:
Basil
Cilantro
Parsley
Rosemary
2 comments:
Sounds like a lovely garden! If you have space, I have oregano and sage planted in my perennial garden. They both have pretty purple flowers. The sage blooms for a really long time, and actually makes a lovely cut flower (if you enjoy the smell of fresh sage). I can't wait till it's warm enough here to get started on ours. I definitely have the itch! I bet your twins are excited for things to start to grow---how fun. My girls are a bit young for that this year. Next year I hope they will get into helping Mama in the garden.
Both the sage and the oregano sound interesting, Julia. We haven't done much in our flower gardens since our house was completed almost three years ago. (I'm a huge native plant fan and have had two die on me!!)
I'm hoping to focus on the two closest to our front door this spring and will definitely refer back to your perennial post!
Post a Comment