Saturday, February 12, 2011

Our Plan of Attack

After watching the weather forecast yesterday evening, I got very excited.  Forecast highs of 60 all next week...even one day w/ a high of 68.  YIPPEE!!  Quite honestly, I am so ready to say goodbye to Ol' Man Winter this year.  With all the colds the kids have had this past fall/winter, I'll be greeting warmer weather with open arms and open windows.  But I also know this burst of warmer weather won't last...

In light of at least six more weeks of "winter", I've decided on a plan of attack to help the kids and I make it through to Spring with hopefully no more significant colds and/or ear infections.  First of all, bedtime is now a firm 8 pm or earlier.  Rested bodies fight germs much better than tired bodies.  Second, the kids are now receiving a daily dose of Xango--an all-natural, immune booster.  Third, snacks will consist of fruits, veggies or Cheerios.  If a balanced meal isn't consumed, then the next snack time will be an attempt to make up that missing food category.  Fourth, sugary snacks will be minimized.  Sugar is a breeding ground for germs.  Sorry lollipops!  We will see you again this Spring.  Fifth, hands will be wiped down/santized before entering the car and washed upon arriving home.  And finally, we are trying to break Isaac and Kathryn's thumb sucking habits.  I'm fine with them enjoying a little thumb in their cribs, but if they are up, those thumbs are out!

Here's hoping we make it to Spring with fewer germs!

1 comment:

shannon howe said...

Hey Jessica,
I have been following your woes with Kathryn and Isaac's ear infections. I saw this information on another blog (writer is mom of twins, as well as a nurse). Thought you'd be interested in the info!
Shannon

Ear infections are more common in children 6 months to 2 years because of the position of the eustachian tubes at that age. To read more about the details about ear infection see this link to an article by Dr.Greene.com.

So, what do you do? It’s always a good idea to go to your doctor and have him/her take a look and let you know if it is in fact an ear infection. Ask your doctor what they think about natural remedies. It’s worth giving some natural ear drops a shot in order to prevent the use of antibiotics. Make sure to treat a fever as recommended by your doctor.

A friend of mine found this great stuff called Dr. Wally’s ear oil. (Thanks Natalie!) It is available at many health food stores and Amazon.com. Dr. Wally’s contains all of the recommended ingredients from the Natural Remedies book I studied for my continuing education units. It has sweet almond oil, eucalyptus oil, garlic, mullein extract, echinacea oil, garlic oil and other extracts.

If you would prefer to make your own natural ear infection oil here is the recipe from “Nature’s Remedies” by Vijay Fadia.

Garlic oil:

Press one to two bulbs of fresh garlic in a garlic press.

Cover the garlic in one inch of olive oil in a small sauce pan and warm on low for one hour.

Strain the oil through a cheese cloth and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

To use: Place the glass jar in a pot of hot water and swirl until it is LUKE WARM, not hot. Test the oil on your wrist to make sure it is only slightly warm. With an eyedropper, place a few drops in the ear to relieve infection and inflammation. You may also like to place a warm compress to the ear. Do not use if ear drum is perforated!