Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Potty Training: Trials and Tribulations

We have one week of potty training behind us...YEAH!!!  Lest you think that this has been a breeze for us (and if I have given that impression...please forgive me!), here's a recap of our trials so far:

  • Last Wednesday, Isaac completely refused to use the potty...for HOURS.  I immediately began to worry about a UTI.  Then I remembered that one of the numerous PT resources I read suggested that you up liquids to give the training child plenty of opportunities to go.  I mixed up a batch of frozen lemonade (Isaac's FAVORITE drink) and offered unlimited sippy-cups full to both he and Kathryn.  After two sippy cups full, Isaac had a mini-accident, but after that lemonade made its way though, he stopped refusing the potty.  And was heavily praised for his efforts!
  • Kathryn and Isaac are still in overnight diapers.  For a few mornings, Isaac would wake up extremely upset if he wet his overnight diaper.  So I gently explained that we are focusing on using the potty during the day, if we happen to wet our diaper overnight, Mommy and Daddy aren't upset.  After all, diapers to made to hold pee pee and shoo shoo.  Once having this conversation with him, he has not gotten upset if he wets his overnight diaper.
  • Kathryn's refusal to use the potty began Saturday.  In fact, she had several large accidents where she actually watched herself wet the floor when the potty was no more than three feet away.  At first I thought she was just fascinated with what her body does when she pees, but then it dawned on me...she would get extremely upset if I asked her if she needed to use her potty.  She would exclaim, "NO MOMMY!"  (Kathryn is our extremely independent child...stubborn too.  No clue where she might get that...)  So I decided to stop asking her as long as she was bare bottomed.  And that is what turned the tide for her.  She knows when she needs to potty and doesn't require reminders if she is bare bottomed.  As a result of her refusal, we have also stopped asking Isaac if he needs to potty when he is bare bottomed too.  (We still encourage potty use before leaving the house, before nap time and bed time, and when we stop at various locations while out and about, but we do not require use.  We are starting to transfer the responsibility of staying clean and dry to our children...WOW!)
  • I jumped the gun on introducing underwear.  Isaac had a pee pee and shoo shoo accident on Saturday while in underwear.  We will try short periods of training pants use and encourage them to keep their special pants clean and dry, but underwear will not be introduced again unless asked for or training pants stay dry for several days in a row.
  • Both kids were having trouble using the potty for shoo shoo, which is quite common based upon what I've read.  One situation that can intensify this reluctance is if it is tough for a child to go.  We have experienced this struggle first hand with both children, and let me tell you...it is NOT fun.  What  helped us overcome this hurdle was a daily serving of prunes.  Kathryn's daily allowance is 1, Isaac's daily allowance is 2.  (We cut the prune up into several pieces and the kids devour them.)  Since we've implemented this dietary change, both are having a much easier time using the potty for #2. 

2 comments:

randomashley said...

You all have made excellent progress -- especially considering it's only been ONE week!

Twinside Out said...

We also went through a period of time where we had to serve lots of prunes - definitely not fun!!

Congrats on making it through the first week of potty training! :)