Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Potty Training: Day Two Summary

I do apologize for the detailed PT posts, but this is our life right now...:)
  • Kids went to MMO in the morning in Pull-Ups (aka "Special Pants").  We bare bottomed it at the house until we needed to leave.  Then I asked them if they needed to use the potty (no), put on their "special pants" while explaining that we needed to keep these pants clean and dry and if they needed to use the potty at school they needed to tell Ms. Michele and/or Ms. Nancy, put on their shorts, slipped on their shoes and off we went.  (I put three PUs in each backpack as well as a change of clothes just in case...)
  • Arrived at MMO.  Unloaded kids and headed inside to their classroom.  As I hung up their backpacks, I explained to Ms. Michele that we have just started potty training and that we are taking a causal approach in order to make it a pleasant experience for the kids and anyone who cares for them.  She explained that Ms. Nancy (who helps her out) had hurt her foot over the weekend and wouldn't be there so she may not be as on top of it as she normal is with Ms. Nancy's help.  I told her not to worry...and stressed we were taking the relaxed approach.  I took Kathryn to show her the potties and let her sit on the school potty.  No result, but no wet PU either.  I then took Isaac to show him the potties and let him sit on the school potty.  No result in the potty, but his PU was wet.  I calmly explained that accidents happen, but pee pee needed to go into the potty, not his special pants.  Put Isaac in new PU, returned him to the classroom and told them I would see them later.
  • Picked kids up from car rider lane at MMO.  Ms. Michele informed me both kids took a trip to the potty and both were successful!  I heavily praised the kids and headed home.
  • Arrived home and immediately removed shoes, shorts and PUs.  Isaac was dry!  Kathryn was wet.  Showed them where the potties were and encouraged them to use potties when they needed to pee pee and shoo shoo.
  • Continued with normal schedule (lunch, play, get ready for nap).
  • Put kids in "special nap pants" (aka cloth training pants) at nap time.  Explained that we need to keep special pants clean and dry.  Kids walked upstairs and climbed into their cribs for nap.  I carried potties upstairs and put them outside their room.
  • Once I heard them post-nap, I rushed upstairs, removed their shorts and special nap pants (both DRY) and placed them on their potties.  Kathryn peed.  Isaac didn't.  Rewarded Kathryn.  Explained to Isaac that when he was ready he needed to use the potty.  We got ready to go outside and play for an hour.
  • As soon as Isaac got his Cozy Coupe from the garage, he rushed over to his potty (both potties go outside during outside play time) and peed!  We continued playing outside.  During our outside time, Isaac shoo shooed, but not in the potty.  Explained to Isaac that shoo shoo needed to occur in potty...cleaned him up, played a bit longer, headed back inside.
  • For the rest of the afternoon, pee pees occurred in the potties.  After dinner, Kathryn actually shoo shooed in her potty!  (She kept visiting her potty and actually asked Jonathan to read several stories to her so we thought she might need to do #2.)  She was heavily rewarded and praised. 
  • Had a few struggles post-shower because kids wanted to sit on their potties (and stall).  After completing the bed time routine and putting them in their cribs, Kathryn told Daddy she needed to potty.  So we pulled both kids out and gave them one more chance at using their potties. While sitting on their potties, I told them that even if they didn't need to pee pee to try and empty what pee pee they had.  Kathryn did, Isaac didn't not.  Suited them back up for bed (They wear nighttime diapers and will continue to do so until I find they are staying dry overnight...then we will start overnight training with cloth training pants...hopefully once we have transitioned to toddler beds.) 
All in all, it was a great day!  I fully expect to have some regression during this process and am trying to prepare myself for it so I respond in an appropriate manner.  We are bare bottoming it at home again today and will wear cloth training pants for naps as well as when we are at church this evening (the kids are in our care the entire time on Wednesday evenings).  I plan on introducing them to the potties at church and carrying our attachable potty seat for use at church. I'm also thinking we will head out with Meems later this week so the kids can pick out their big boy/girl underpants.

3 comments:

THECAROLINACOUNTRYGIRL said...

We're potty training too and it's difficult to tackle sometimes.

Read about it on my blog![and follow me too!]http://thecarolinacountrygirl.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

Yay, I and K! Great job! Good luck with the potty training.

Twinside Out said...

Don't apologize for the details - I am reading carefully and making mental notes for the future!

I am so impressed! It sounds like Isaac and Kathryn are off to a great start. I like the no-scolding/no-stress approach.