Thursday, April 14, 2011

Potty Training: Day Three (Wednesday) and Four (Thursday) Thoughts

I think if I could summarize potty training in one word, it would be EXHAUSTING!  For everyone...Isaac, Kathryn and me! Not because I am hitting resistance from the kids or because I have loads and loads of laundry due to accidents.  Not because the concept is hard for Isaac and Kathryn or because they are frustrated by the process.  Isaac and Kathryn continue to do quite well.  I'm not hitting much resistance (or at least I am finding ways to deal with it...sippys full of lemonade are great potty motivators) and our soiled laundry is almost non-existent at this point due to the bare bottomness.  We have had a few wet accidents and they don't always tell us when they need to potty away from home.  All is all...we are making huge progress.  But those out there who haven't potty trained yet, this is a tiring process. 

Here's why I think we all are tired: 
  • I feel I am even more aware of what Isaac and Kathryn are doing, where they are and if someone has used his/her potty.  I have put the gates back up to limit their roaming area.  I don't want them to slip off into our bedroom or the laundry room to "do they business" instead of sitting on their potties.  But I still feel I need to keep a hawk eye on them. 
  • When someone uses the potty...IT IS A BIG DEAL!  Praise is heavily given, we take their potty to the bathroom and clean it up, whoever used the potty gets to flush the big potty, we wash hands and decide on what color M&M we will enjoy.  And usually what happens is one completes the process and then the other uses the potty, which starts it all over again!  I am wearing a worn path to our half bath on the main level. 
  • Leaving the house is a BIG deal again.  We had gotten to the point that we simply took a small bag with wipes and a few diapers with us.  I have gone back to packing the diaper bag for when we are all away together.  Training pants, change of clothes for each, wet bag for soiled training pants, wipes, rewards, not to mention hand sanitizer and Kleenex in case the public restroom isn't well stocked and the diaper bag is full again.  Before we leave, we *try* to use their potties, explain that their special pants are going on and that we need to keep our special pants clean and dry, slip pants/shorts on as well as shoes.  I have added back in 15 minutes to our "out the door" routine.
  • Away from the house, I'm constantly asking if someone needs to use the potty.  I'm afraid they will get distracted (which they do) and have an accident (which they do).  I haven't decided if my asking frustrates them (and me) more than having an accident and learning from it. 
  • When Isaac and Kathryn go down for a nap or for the night, we relocate their potty seats upstairs so they can be quickly accessed.  We don't put them in their room at the moment (Isaac is a world class staller), but right outside their bedroom door. 
It has completely changed how our day is, and trust me, I know all of this effort is so worth it...once we have two potty trained children.  I'm not complaining because I am willing to push through this stage knowing the freedom everyone will experience once Isaac and Kathryn have complete control of their bodies will be wonderful.  But getting there is tiring!  Tomorrow, our planned outing will include picking out underwear so we can begin to introduce it (and the concept of keeping it clean and dry) at home.  Although it is super cute, we can't run around with no bottoms forever!

1 comment:

Twinside Out said...

It sounds like quite the process! Hoping that they get the hang of things soon, and that you will be enjoying sweet freedom!