I think April of 2011 will go down in the Haines Hollow memory books as the month with the most trying toddler twin transitions, potty training and toddler beds. I had NO intentions upon tackling both developmental hurdles in the same month, much less in the same two week period. After all, everything I've read says don't potty train and transition to toddler beds at the same time. Well, those sages obviously forgot the most important parenting rule...always do what you think is best for your children and your own family's sanity.
We are on Day Four of the forced Toddler Bed Transition and I have decided to nap our children separately until Isaac learns to stay in his bed. Kathryn has made the transition rather well. She stays put when we put her down for naps or for the night. Isaac, however, is truly trying our patience with his new found freedom. So until he learns that we mean business, naps will be taken separately. Kathryn will sleep in our bed on the main level. Isaac will "sleep" in his toddler bed in their bedroom upstairs.
I must admit, it is getting easier and we are not having to return Isaac to his bed as frequently as when we first made the change, but I want to ensure Kathryn is getting the sleep she needs and right now, her nap is the one thing I can most easily protect. We separated them during naps for a period of time when we sleep trained at four months and that worked quite well for us. Hopefully this too will help us make it through this transition period and sleepFUL nights will return to the Hollow once more!
No comments:
Post a Comment