Friday, July 15, 2011

What Felt Like Minor Surgery

Yesterday we spent the day with good friends.  Toward the end of our very fun day together, the kids were playing in their Cozy Coupes on the back deck when Isaac began crying very loudly.  Ashley and I rushed outside to investigate and found that he had gotten a HUGE splinter deep in the ball of his foot.  I immediately scooped Isaac up and we rushed into the bathroom to gather splinter-removal supplies. 

After setting up on our sectional and evaluating said splinter again, Ashley and I briefly discussed our plan of attack.  We explained to Isaac that the splinter needed to come out and spent what felt like the longest, most traumatic forty-five minutes working on Isaac's foot.  (Poor little fella!)  We took several breaks to ice his foot, give him juice, comfort him/allow him to calm down, entice him with cookies/watermelon, turn on Ponyo (as a distraction) and discuss what we thought we should try next.  That darn splinter broke several times and we both had hold him down and dig deep to ultimately remove it all.  What a traumatic experience for all of us!  (Thank goodness, Ashley and Grayson were here to help!)

But I'm happy to report that in the end, little man handled it well.  After hugs all around, he immediately demanded his watermelon and happily devoured four large pieces while watching the rest of Ponyo.    

Note to self: Put shoes on Isaac BEFORE he slips outside to play on the back deck.  We definitely don't want another splinter any time soon! 

1 comment:

randomashley said...

I am glad I was there to help. But, like I said yesterday, it was traumatic to say the least! It broke my heart to see my little buddy boy so upset, but he handled it remarkably well considering the depth and size of that splinter and the length of time it took to get it out!