Thursday, July 7, 2011

Weekend Recap & My Love of Open Floor Plans

This past weekend, my cousin and her boyfriend visited for a long weekend.  I enjoy house guests, especially those that just fit right in to our everyday, hectic life with almost three year old twins.  We had a wonderful time and I think everyone was completely worn out by the time Tuesday rolled around.  Here's what we did:
  • Arrival Saturday--Lindy and Heath drove 8+ hours from Maryland.  After a brief respite, we whisked our guests to the Cole Family Annual Fourth of July Weekend Cookout.  We didn't arrive back home until 10:15 that night.
  • Restful (?) Sunday--I headed to church alone due to Preschool Church duties while everyone else vegged at home.  Grilled out for Sunday dinner.  Lindy, Heath and I picked blueberries at a local farm during nap time.  Pizza for supper with Pop and Meems.  Adults stayed up til the wee hours chatting.
  • Fourth of July Monday--French toast and fresh blueberries for breakfast.  Prep'd for early evening cookout.  Light lunch and restful nap time.  Cookout, homemade ice cream/sherbet & fireworks.
  • Departure Tuesday--Jonathan returned to work.  Lindy and Heath drove back to Maryland.  The kids and I hung around the house, doing laundry and focusing on the return of our daily routine.
Meems commented yesterday how she finds my ability to keep doing household tasks while hosting guests quite amazing.  And when I reflected on what I did accomplish while hosting this past weekend, it further solidified my intense love of our open floor plan.  Not once did I feel out-of-the-loop while cooking down blackberries for jelly, doing a load of the kids' laundry or folding said laundry or even prep'ing blueberries for freezing.  I felt part of the action the entire time and everyone didn't have to cram into a teeny, tiny kitchen!

No comments: