Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Lazy Chef

I've been really lazy when it comes to preparing dinner these past two weeks. Jonathan is traveling and it is just too darn hot right now to spend much time in the kitchen.  (Yes, we have air conditioning, but to keep our electric bill reasonable, we keep the thermostat on the high side.)  Plus, nothing bugs me more than spending time preparing a meal and having both kids reject it. 

So over the past two weeks, we have eaten the following for dinner:

  • Scrambled eggs, cut up bell pepper, blueberries
  • Cheddar cheese, whole grain crackers, raw baby carrots, watermelon
  • Natural PB with homemade strawberry jam on whole wheat bread, raw cucumber slices, apple
  • Half white/half whole wheat waffles
  • Honey Nut Cheerios with whole milk
  • Yogurt with homemade granola (made several months ago and stored in the freezer), fresh vegs and fruit
  • Blueberry buttermilk pancakes (plain buttermilk pancakes for the kids w/ blueberries on the side)
  • Cottage noodles with vegs and fruit
Sometimes, it bothers me that we are eating such simple meals, but the kids don't seem to mind and I want something quick and easy.  (I am so not a fan of processed foods.) 

I'm curious what others are currently doing for dinner.  Do you eat dinner on the fly or prepare a meal every night?  Do you cook from scratch or use pre-made meals?  I guess I am kinda burnt out on meal prep and want some fresh, easy ideas.

2 comments:

randomashley said...

I am very interested to hear what others come up with because this is a constant struggle for me as well. Especially since it's just me & the pickiest little girl in history! ;o)

Twinside Out said...

Well...I am reading blogs because I'm procrastinating. I've been meal planning for the last two weeks, and I didn't do it this week. So I have no idea what is for dinner.

But what I *was* (and need to get back to) doing was assigning each day a category, to help me come up with recipe ideas:

Meatless Monday (something vegetarian)
Taco Tuesday (something Mexican)
Wild Wednesday (something new)
Traditional Thursday (meat and side)
Fun Friday (homemade pizza, hot dogs, etc)
Simple Saturday (crockpot or casserole)
Salad Saturday

It helped me narrow down (or find!) ideas by having the categories. I pull a lot of ideas from weelicious.com, too - I have to modify some of them for our food allergies, but she has some good concepts. And I have yet to make anything off her site that the kids don't gobble down.