I'm all about teaching Isaac and Kathryn to pitch in and help around the house. And I firmly believe one is never too young to help out. I&K have been helping "sort" laundry for months. Recently, though, I have included them in a few more steps of the laundry process. Now their idea of folding clothes is a bit different than mine, but that doesn't mean they can't help load the washer and unload the dryer. The above pictures are a glimpse into our process of loading the washer...
After sorting the clothes, I put the load I wish to wash into the white laundry basket. (We have three laundry baskets and three hampers. Can you tell we do a LOT of laundry in this house?!) As I swing through the great room on my way to the laundry room, I ask Isaac and Kathryn if they want to help Mommy load the washer. At the moment, both stop whatever they are doing and run over to the gate that leads to the laundry room. (I'm sure this willingness won't last forever but I must seize the opportunity while it lasts...) I remove the gate, place the white laundry basket on the floor to one side of the washer and ask them to begin loading up the washer with the clothes from the basket.
Both get really excited and begin scurrying back and forth, loading the washer with dirty clothes while I measure out the detergent. Kathryn is extremely focused on the job at hand, working non-stop until all the clothes are loaded. Isaac is a bit more laid-back, asking "Dirty sock, Mommy?" or "Daddy's shirt?". "Yes, Isaac, dirty sock." "Yes, Isaac Daddy's shirt. Please place it in the washer. Thank you."
Both get really excited and begin scurrying back and forth, loading the washer with dirty clothes while I measure out the detergent. Kathryn is extremely focused on the job at hand, working non-stop until all the clothes are loaded. Isaac is a bit more laid-back, asking "Dirty sock, Mommy?" or "Daddy's shirt?". "Yes, Isaac, dirty sock." "Yes, Isaac Daddy's shirt. Please place it in the washer. Thank you."
After all the clothes are loaded, one is tasked with closing the washer's door while the other is lifted up to press the button with the "blue flashing light". (We take turns with these two steps for now.) Then we all three step back and watch the washer begin its task.
No comments:
Post a Comment