Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Daddy's First...

Happy Veteran’s Day!

We celebrated another first here in the Haines Household…Jonathan’s first experience caring for Isaac and Kathryn solo! Now don’t get me wrong, Jonathan cares for Isaac and Kathryn each and every evening while I grab a quick shower. And he also watches them on the weekends so I can grab a quick nap sometimes, but this was the first time he watched them while I was physically away from our house. I had a much needed dentist appointment today (which I rescheduled several times already after the twins’ arrival) so Jonathan agreed to watch our dynamic duo while I ran into town for my dental checkup. I must admit, I was nervous leaving Jonathan with them…What if they got hungry? (He doesn’t have the proper “equipment” to feed them…) What if Isaac cried the entire time I was away? Or even worse…what if BOTH of them cried the entire time?

To help make my time away much easier on Jonathan (hopefully), I topped off their little bellies in hopes that hunger would not be an issue. I typically feed them every 2 ½ to 3 hours during the day, but this feeding was 1 ½ hours from the last. They don’t mind…our kids are ALWAYS ready to eat. So after burping and changing them, I was off to the dentist (cell phone in hand, of course).

I explained to my very understanding dental hygienist that I needed to hold my cell phone during my cleaning as Jonathan was home alone with our three-month old twins for the first time. She and I had a good conversation about how great it was for Jonathan to experience this solo time with them. I think she could tell I was nervous. It is not that I don’t trust Jonathan, or that I doubt his skills as a father…he is WONDERFUL with our kids, but he isn’t the one at home with them, alone, during the day. I have my daily schedule, my way of comforting them when they are upset (individually and together), my way of talking to them when I change their diapers, my way of playing with them, my way, my way, my way…get my point?! It is hard for me to turn things over to others, even if it is my husband!

After my checkup was over (no cavities, btw), I rushed out to my car (I took the Honda just in case Jonathan needed to take the twins anywhere) and immediately called home. The phone rang, and rang…AND RANG…I got voicemail. (WHAT?!?!) I left a message and thought, “Maybe he needed to take them for a car ride to calm them down. I’ll try his cell phone.” I went immediately to voicemail…OK…he is still at home. Why isn’t he answering?? Maybe he was changing a diaper when I called the first time and couldn’t get to the phone…so I tried again. No answer…

By this time, I was halfway home. Well, I’ll just see how things are when I get there…

And here’s what I found…

Jonathan did WONDERFULLY! Both kids were asleep…Kathryn in her swing, Isaac in Daddy’s lap. Jonathan did admit that Isaac fussed a little before falling asleep, but that not unusual. Jonathan didn’t answer the phone because it wasn’t near the lazy boy and he didn’t want to disturb Isaac. All was good and I had no reason to worry…WAY TO GO, Daddy!!

And oh…I almost forgot…they went TEN HOURS between feedings last night! Woo Hoo!!

No comments: