Friday, May 13, 2011

Birthday Ideas in the Works

Isaac and Kathryn turn 2.75 today which means their 3rd birthday is three months away.  (THREE MONTHS TILL THEIR 3!! OMG!!!)

Jonathan and I were discussing birthday ideas last night.  We don't want to go overboard so discussing ideas early helps me keep things in check.  I want my kids to appreciate the traditions we establish around special events like birthdays and Christmas, and not get caught up in possessions and what gifts they will receive.  (That's another post for another time.)  Anyhow, I'd really like to make Isaac and Kathryn each a twin size quilt for their birthday.  And Jonathan agreed that quilts would be a nice birthday present.  So here's what I'm planning...

I will use Julie Herman's Off the Rail pattern to construct the quilts.  (Love what she comes up with!)  Kathryn's quilt will be made using Moda's Just Wing It line.  Isaac's quilt will be built around Ready Set Go by Ann Kelle.  I was able to purchase the fabric for Kathryn's quilt top while Green Fairy Quilts had a sale.  I'm in the process of purchasing the fabric for Isaac's quilt.  I tried purchasing from my local quilt shop, but the owner is just not a fan of pre-cut fabric bundles.  I prefer to buy local and support the small business-person, but if local doesn't carry what I want or need, I look elsewhere.  I just sent an email to Jody at  Fabric Shoppe to see if she would be willing to build a custom order for me.  I LOVE her fabric selections and hope we can come up with something.  But I digress!

In addition to the quilts, Isaac and Kathryn will receive one toy each.  Jonathan and I are still processing that one.  Any thoughts or suggestions on reasonably priced, age appropriate toys are appreciated!

3 comments:

Melissa Ann said...

So I'm totally a sucker for any line with cute trees in it! So K's gets my stamp of approval!

And I's is so so cute too!

As for age appropriate toys: how about a little bike with training wheels attached. That way they could grow with/into over the next 2 or so years.

randomashley said...

What a wonderful gift idea -- one they will have to treasure forever & pass down to their own kids one day!

Twinside Out said...

3 years old! Such an exciting age!!

I love the quilt idea. I also really like the one toy idea - we have birthdays coming up next month, and I have been thinking a lot about these things as well.