Friday, January 21, 2011

Totally Done with DirecTV

I am so fed up with DirecTV. (Sorry, FB friends, you are hearing my rant again!)

Background: We have been a good-standing customer with them for roughly 6 years, with a year and a half break in service while our house was being built, during which we put our service on hold. At one time, if you were no longer subject to a service commitment, they would offer their "new customer deals" to existing customers. Well...NOT ANYMORE. Both Jonathan and I have tried on multiple occasions with multiple departments and multiple customer service reps to renegotiate our service plan and the answer has been no each and every time. (Offering me premium channels for two months for free is a joke!) We pay our bill automatically so we have never been late with payment. Both of us have stellar credit, so why won't they entice a loyal customer to stay with them is beyond me. That's OK...as an informed consumer, I know I have other options.

Cable is not an option (we live in the sticks, people!!), nor is AT&T's U-Verse (yet), but Dish Network is. However, I am reluctant to sign up with another satellite carrier. (I don't want to go through the same crap two years from now.) As a result, I have started researching online options. The only downer is watching live sports will be a bit tricky. Fortunately, the hubs is willing to try something different.

I've looked into Hulu, Hulu Plus, Roku, Boxee, Apple TV, Amazon VOD, Netflix via our Wii and MLB.tv. Not to mention I have read numerous reviews and articles on what is out there and how to set things up. Friends have offered firsthand experiences and even provided plans on how to construct a homemade digital antenna to capture our local channels! But I want to hear from my blog followers. Does anyone have firsthand experience on watching shows online? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Julia said...

My husband and I watch Hulu. We don't have DVR, so we just catch up on shows when we want to on Hulu. Hulu doesn't have CBS shows, but you can't watch those on cbs.com. It also doesn't have TNT shows, but you can watch those on TNT's website if you're interested.

With the exception of a couple of shows, most programs are offered the following morning after they aired on TV. The medical show House is available on Hulu 8 days after an episode airs (that's true on Fox.com also). I think there might be a couple of ther TNT shows that do the same thing. Other than that, most shows are available the following day.

We also have Netflix. We LOVE it, because, honestly, while it sounds like I watch a ton of TV, we really don't (I was on bedrest with the twins for 2 months, so I schooled myself on all this stuff out of sheer boredom!). We can order entire seasons of shows and watch them. Also--we can watch many movies on demand right on our computer. Love it! I think we only pay like $12 a month or something.

Anyway--if you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer. I'd have to ask the hubs, but I know he can stream a lot of games live on the computer as well.

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Julia! I would be interested in hearing how the hubs streams sporting events. Does he stream ESPN 360 and/or use other sites?