Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Potty Training Time??

It was my intent to begin serious potty training after the holidays. Everything I've read recommends that training occur in a "low stress environment" and the holidays don't fall into that category for us. Now that we are post-holidays, I'm thinking I'll use January to get myself psyched up, gather the necessary supplies (we only lack training pants) and we'll start potty boot camp in February.

I promise, I'm not procrastinating. I just know PT will take a huge commitment on my part. Plus I'm still debating on how I want to tackle this adventure...train both? Train one, then the other? 100% cloth training pants? Cloth training pants during the day, overnight diapers at night? Start on a Friday so we have all weekend plus Monday before MMO rolls around again? I'm flexible enough to know that I may need to modify as we go along, but I want to have a general idea of how we will at least start. Not to mention I need to select which cloth training pants we'll go with. (I want something more substantial than Gerber training pants and so don't want to use pull ups. I firmly believe they need to feel when they are wet, but I'd really prefer not to change the entire outfit each time we have an accident.) And accidents are just part of the process!

So maybe I am dragging my feet a bit on this, but I know I need to be ready for this adventure in order to increase our chances of success. On the plus side, Kathryn has started to tell us when she needs to "shoo-shoo" and has successfully "pooped in the big potty" (she prefers the potty seat to her chair) three to four times in the past week.

4 comments:

Melissa Ann said...

Wilma trained her this last summer in cloth pants. If she's not still having to use them she'd probably sell them to you as long as you promise you'll pass them down to me afterward ;)

Julia said...

I'm so interested to read about your experience with this! I have no idea about potty training, and I know it's not time yet for us, but I'm eager to hear what works for you.

The only thing I have to add--I worked with a woman who had adopted all four of her children internationally. Her son and daughter were very close in age, and potty trained together. They had what they called "potty support"--while one was on the potty, the other would get the toilet paper ready, and cheer for them when they "deposited" something in the potty. My co-worker said this worked really well for them, because they were working together and helping one another. They were potty trained quickly that way. I've always remember that, and, to me, it seems like a tactic like that would work well with twins--they could be "potty support" for one another.

Anyway---not my personal experience, but wanted to share just in case you found it helpful :)

Lollipopz Photography said...

We are jumping in the boat with you. I am ready to have it done. One of mine is very interested. The other, not so much. I may start with him and hope the other falls right behind. We will see. Good Luck!

Andrea said...

We're having the "When do we start" conversation around here, too. It seems so daunting!! Both girls *usually* tell us when they need their diaper changed....we're trying to convert that to telling us when they have to go. We've been talking about the potty, but there are times when they flat out refuse to sit on it. I'm so nervous about this one!!