I'm headed to a scrapbook retreat this weekend. Woo-hoo! This will be my first overnight trip away from home since the kids were born. Many thanks to Jonathan for allowing me to go. Even though I am very excited about this weekend, I am sure I will feel some home-sickness/kid-sickness/spouse-sickness while away.
Jonathan is perfectly capable of taking care of the kids solo. But he is also aware that meal prep can be a bit tricky with two two-year olds running about. To help out on that front, I decided to make leftover friendly meals this week so he could focus on having fun with the kids and not worry with cooking dinners this weekend. (Sure...he could feed the kids take-out all weekend, but we are trying to reduce spending and eat healthier.)
Monday, we had Ziti Pizzaiola. Isaac enjoyed three large helpings and Kathryn cleaned her plate. (Not bad for a new dish!)
Tuesday, we had breakfast for dinner (which meant no leftovers), but Isaac had an unexpected doctor's appointment which wipes out an entire morning for us and leaves little opportunity for kid-friendly meal prep times.
Tonight, Jonathan and the kids will enjoy homemade Mac & Cheese. Typically we eat dinner at church due to Wonderful Wednesdays. I am co-teaching a class at WWs so I haven't decided whether I will eat at home or eat at WWs.
Tomorrow, we will enjoy homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
Each meal (excluding Tuesday's) leaves plenty of leftovers for Jonathan, Isaac and Kathryn to enjoy along with fresh cut veggies and fruit. And since I am terribly behind in sharing recipes with a fellow twin mom and friend (Sorry Crystal! I haven't forgotten!!), I'll post the recipes for the first two meals here in case others would like to try them out too.
Ziti Pizzaiola
3/4 lbs of grd beef
2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 c chopped green pepper
1 t each dried basil & oregano leaves
1/2 t garlic powder (can sub w/ two minced cloves)
28 oz can chopped tomatoes (drained)
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 t sugar
16 oz cooked ziti
parm cheese
In a large skillet over med-hi heat, stir together meat, mushrooms, pepper, and spices. Cook, uncovered, 5 mins. Stir in all but pasta. Heat to boiling, reduce and simmer uncovered til meat is thoroughly cooked (~15 mins). Toss hot pasta and sauce together. Serve w/ parm cheese.
I cheated a bit and used a batch of homemade spag sauce w/ meatballs (I broke up the meatballs) so I just sauteed the fresh veggies, then added the homemade sauce, meatballs, chopped tomatoes, onion soup mix, and sugar. That just simmered until the noodles were ready. I dumped the noodles in, stirred and held it covered on low until Jonathan arrived home from work. VERY easy and quite tasty!
Homemade Mac & Cheese
4 c cooked noodles (your choice)
1/2 c unsalted butter (can sub margarine)
1/2 c flour
salt & pepper to taste
5 c milk
4 c shredded sharp cheddar
Heat oven to 350. Cook pasta; drain. In large saucepan over med heat, melt butter. Blend in flour, salt/pepper; gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens & begins to boil. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted. In 3 quart casserole (9x13), stir together pasta and cheese sauce. Bake 30 mins or until bubbly. Can make 1/2 recipe and use 9x9 casserole.
1 comment:
enjoy yourself this weekend... shew i know you need it - after double ear infection!!! thanks for the recipes..
Post a Comment