If you don't already know, I LOVE this site. Lots of great crockpot meals with plenty of variety. Now typically our crockpot is stored in a cabinet underneath the counter, but lately, it resides on the countertop. Since the kids are fully feeding themselves now and eat pretty much what we eat, our crockpot is seeing lots more game time.
Last night I decided to try making steel cut oats overnight in the crock and they turned out quite well!
Here's the recipe:
2 c steel cut oats
1/2 c brown sugar (I think next time I will up this to 3/4 cup)
4 c milk (You can sub soy milk if you wish)
Splash of vanilla (I will splash a bit more next time)
Measure the oats and brown sugar directly into the crockpot. (I used a 6 qt crock, but I bet a 4 qt would do.) Pour in milk and vanilla. Stir, cover and cook on low for ~8 hours. (My crock has a warming feature that turns on after the cook time has elapsed, which is oh-so nice!)
I started the oats at 11 o'clock last night (I was out playing guitar with some friends and got home around 10:45 pm). The oats were ready for consumption when the kids and I got up around 7:15 am.
And you know what...I loved it! The steel cut oats bring a nutty flavor into the mix, but the brown sugar and vanilla were too light for my taste. (I will definitely up those next time! And I may even experiment with a little cinnamon and molasses.) Isaac and Kathryn wanted "Cheerios & Nilk" for breakfast, but after seeing what Mommy was eating Kathryn wanted to try...and she liked it! I put the leftovers in the fridge and plan on reheating in the microwave with a bit a milk.
Some of the oats did stick to the sides of the crock, but not so badly that a little soaking won't loosen them right up. What a delicious, warm breakfast on a crisp, fall morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment