Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas Family Traditions: Making Cookies

Our family LOVES homemade cookies!  For us, homemade cookies and Christmas go hand-in-hand.  (The same holds true for our annual family beach trip and homemade cookies, but that's for another time and another post.) 

When Kathryn and Isaac were younger, Meems and I scheduled our cookie making time during their nap time.  I still remember that first December after Isaac and Kathryn were born.  I was in the midst of sleep training and Meems and I were baking cookies during nap times.  I had the monitor sitting on the kitchen island one afternoon. Kathryn and Isaac were upstairs in their cribs screaming their little heads off and Meems looked at me with this weary look.  She said, "Would you please turn the monitor off?  I think we can hear them without it."  Poor Meems, she did not enjoy sleep training at all!  But now, several years later, Isaac and Kathryn are interested in baking, so we schedule our cookie making times so they can participate.

This year, we decided to hold a Cookie Baking Marathon the Wednesday before Christmas.  That morning, we gathered at my house with all the necessary ingredients, cranked the Christmas music on Pandora, fired up my double oven and went to work.  We made four different cookies that day: Ginger Crinkles, Chocolate Chip, Seven Layer and Date Balls. 

The kids had a blast!  Kathryn "helping" the entire time, Isaac supervising when needed.  Meems and I loved it. The house smelled AMAZING and a good portion of our Christmas cookies were baked and ready for consumption. 

No comments: