Friday, June 3, 2011

Sleep "Re-Training"?

To be perfectly honest, we are really struggling with sleep issues at the moment.  And I'm at my wit's end dealing with it. 

We've tried the silent treatment when returning him to bed.  We've tried separating the kids at nap time. We've tried allowing one more visit to the potty.  We've tried ignoring them.  We've tried punishing them.  We've tried telling them we will come and get them when nap time is over.  We've tried lying down with them.  We've tried explaining if it is dark outside, they need to call Mommy from their beds.  The bed time routine hasn't changed, but we are experiencing more and more frustration with what occurs after saying our good nights or what happens the next morning in the wee hours of the morning. 

Each night this week, the kids have fallen asleep later and later, have woken up earlier and earlier and naps have grown shorter and shorter.  I know this is a recipe for disaster and the sleep deprivation that the kids are experiencing is starting to take its toll...on everyone.  

I'm ticked that we were forced into this toddler bed transition, ticked that bed time is a battle of wills, ticked that it is affecting our relationship with our kids and each other, ticked that Isaac has lost all control of his emotions because he is too darn tired, ticked that playing outside twice yesterday in the sweltering heat did nothing to tire them out, ticked that nothing we try seems to work.  If things don't improve drastically in the next week (if we even make it that long), the kids will be returned to their cribs with crib tents.

5 comments:

randomashley said...

First of all, sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Have you tried the reward chart like we talked about? And/or have you & Jonathan considered putting them in their own rooms as they approach 3? Just a couple of suggestions, & I'll be glad to listen to you vent if needed!

Nicole said...

Oh no! I hope this is just a phase and it passes very quickly.

Jessica said...

Thanks, Ashley and Nicole. This evening was better. (After a horrible afternoon anything was an improvement.)

We are moving bed time to an earlier time (at least 15 minutes earlier if not more) and allowing one potty trip after completing the bed time routine. We also had a discussion about staying in bed, closing our eyes and going to sleep and how listening and obeying makes Mommy and Daddy very happy.

I did order a "My Tot Clock" which should arrive later this month and plan on making reward charts tomorrow.

We just need to keep telling ourselves this too shall pass.

Nicole said...

I'm glad it went better last night. My nephew has a tot clock and it works really well. I hope that does the trick for you.

Twinside Out said...

I am so sorry to hear this!! I hope things get better soon. :(