Thursday, June 2, 2011

How We Spent Our Morning

We are down to one vehicle at the moment.  Jonathan's "commuter" didn't start on Tuesday morning so both Tuesday and today, he drove the vehicle I usually drive to work.  Yesterday, we negotiated a deal with Meems so I was able to do the weekly grocery shopping as well as run other errands in the morning and hit the Clemson Student Organic Farm's weekly market in the afternoon after naps.  I was a bit hestiant about going to the market with the kids because it was so dang hot (which means recipe for disaster), but they did quite well and asked lots of questions about the produce for sale. I thought we were going to make it through the trip without incident, but Isaac lost it as we were walking back to the vehicle.  He caught a glimpse at one of their tractors and wanted a ride.  Rides are not part of the weekly market.

Back to this morning...Today, the two ladies who help us out every to weeks were scheduled to come.  They typically arrive around 9 am, but wanted to come at 8 am due to some scheduling adjustments so one could attend a high school graduation ceremony tomorrow afternoon.  The new time was perfectly fine with me.  I knew we would be up and at it by 7.  When they arrived we were just finishing up breakfast.  After breakfast, we spent a few minutes playing with the sticker activity books the kids got in their Easter baskets.  Then we got dressed and headed outside.

At first, they played with their Cozy Coupes while I watered our veggie gardens and the tea olive tree that hasn't made it into the ground yet.  (On this weekend's to-do list.)  Then Kathryn and I weeded our two front flower beds.  After weeding, I cleaned the front porch while Isaac and Kathryn played.  At 10:15, Isaac started to get a little weary and wanted to head back inside.  Our special ladies weren't finished yet, so I decided to strip the kids down and fill up the kiddie pool and their water table.  They loved it!  And played in and out of the water for another good hour.  By the end of that hour, our ladies had finished and left so we tidied up and headed inside for some PB&Js.

Both kids devoured their lunches, asked for seconds, then immediately demanded naps (something that has NEVER occurred around here).  It was only noon?!  After a quick potty trip, both snuggled in to their napping locations and I haven't heard a peep from them yet!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hit by the curse of "if you write about it, suffer the consequences". Isaac woke up as soon as I posted this...

Twinside Out said...

I too know that curse... ;)

We are also down to one car at the moment. I spend a lot of time indoors, since our condo is on the third floor. Trying to make the best of it, but it can be a challenge (and a scheduling nightmare). Hope you can get the car fixed soon!!

PS - How do you get kids to demand naps?? You must have the magic touch!!