Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Seeing the Light at the End of the Sinus Infection

For those of you who don't know, I've been fighting a sinus infection for a month.  Yep, you read that right, one whole month of drainage, pressure, green gunk, and feeling like a slug.  Needless to say, I haven't been a happy camper.  (Sorry family!)  And if you have seen me this month, you could tell I wasn't up to par.

I'm one of those people who likes to give her body a chance to fight a cold.  I don't go running off to the doctor's at the first sign of sniffles.  I like to wait a week before waving that little white flag and calling up the big guns.  Well, after a week and a half, no improvement and a weekend quickly approaching, I decided it was time to request a little help.  One hour later, I exited the doctor's office with orders to take a decongestant and complete a seven day regimen of antibiotics.  I thought I'd be feeling significantly better in three or four days.  Seven days later...still no improvement. 

So I called my doctor and asked for some advice.  Solution:  A ten day regimen of much, much stronger antibiotics.  Status:  Seven days into this second round, I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.  I've never been sick for this long and never had to take more than one round of antibiotics to kick a cold.  And honestly, I think the only reason I have started to improve is I began to rest (that an a nasal decongestant spray)...going to bed early, napping or doing a quiet activity while the kids were napping, cutting out evening activities when I could, taking a HUGE step back (which is very hard for me to do).  On Sunday, the pressure was so great it resulted in a migraine, which landed me in bed all day.  Jonathan really came through for me that day.  It was a huge wake-up call.  And as a result, I'm listening...and resting...until this mess is completely gone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you feeling better? Crystal