Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Times 2

I am learning that as a SAHM (stay-at-home Mom), I have lots of time to think about things. Not that I have lots of time, but when I am changing over laundry, prep'ing the grocery list, washing dishes, folding laundry, changing beds, chopping and dropping our dinner in the crockpot or casserole, taking a shower, drying my hair, brushing my teeth, (you get the idea) my mind has a tendency to wander and I ponder.

Lately my thoughts have been of baby food jars. Yep, you read that right...baby food jars. We have quite a collection of these little guys. Now we recycle. But I just can't bring myself to add our growing stash of empty baby food jars to the glass recycling trash can. And let me tell you, we generate LOTS of empty baby food jars. (See below photo for visual proof.) Right now, with Isaac and Kathryn eating breakfast and dinner, that equals three empty baby food jars at the end of the day.


Anyhoo...after searching the WWW (aka worldwide web) I have decided what to do with our growing mound of empty baby food jars...make container candles! The process seems pretty simple, the gear...pretty inexpensive, and hey...didn't I promise after last Christmas that all of our presents from here on out would be handmade or purchased from stores located in Pickens? So right now, my plan is to clean the jars really well (lamp oil works like a champ on that stubborn, sticky label residue), store the clean jars in a box in our basement and order the supplies. So if you receive a present from us...a baby food jar container candle may be coming your way in the near future!

Other thoughts...cloth diapers...and homemade baby food...I'll keep you posted...(no pun intended).

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Great idea for the baby food jars (and it sounds like fun)! I'm also very interested in cloth diapers and possibly homemade baby food. Can't wait to see what you think/have found out.