About three days ago, Kathryn starting asking, "Mommy, I potty?". So I began to humor her and put her on the potty. So far nothing, but passing many books and magazines back and forth...until yesterday. Yesterday morning, she wanted to put a diaper on one of her bug car toys. I took that as a sign she was wet and wanted her diaper changed. (She tells us when she is "shoo-shoo" so long as she is not away from the house where she is distracted by everything around her.) I pulled the rest of the diaper changing supplies out (she had already pulled a diaper out and was going for the wipes and changing pad), had her lie down, and immediately discovered she was dry. So I asked her if she wanted to go potty and she immediately said, "I potty!".
Now we are totally unprepared for potty training. We have no training pants, no "special treats" for successes, no travel seats, no stand alone seats that the kids can get themselves on to...na da, nothing, zip, zero. Well, that's not entirely true...We have a seat that attaches to the toilet, a non-slip stool and a package of night time pull-ups (because that coupon was about to expire). I was fully expecting to start potty awareness after we returned from our beach trip, not before. Notice I said "potty awareness" because I think the kids are still too young to officially start potty training. Back to yesterday...
After sitting on the toilet for 15+ minutes and asking for the last "book" in the potty book basket, Kathryn peed! Her face was priceless! She looked up at me with such surprise and giggled. I scrambled to find a "special treat" (a chocolate chip) and praised her heavily. Isaac was in the bathroom with us and immediately asked "I potty?". So I hurried to clean Kathryn up, took her off the potty, diapered and dressed her. While she washed her hands at the sink, I undressed Isaac and sat him on the potty. He lasted a minute. (LOL!) And so begins our potty awareness/training journey.
2 comments:
Very exciting!!! I hear the girls are easier than the boys - I guess you really get to see if that holds true. I love those pictures... ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!
That's awesome!!!
Post a Comment