As a MoM (Mom of Multiples), I have learned to plan ahead for E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.! As a SAHM (stay-at-home mom), I have plenty of time to think and process about those plans. That doesn't mean I am lying on the couch, eating bon-bons and daydreaming all day! It just means while I am working on breakfast, lunch, dinner, laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, changing diapers, sorting clothes for upcoming consignment sales, (you get the idea) I think about numerous topics...birthday present ideas for two year olds, what we need to pack for the beach, how to best handle the drainage problems around our house, when are Jonathan and I going to tackle wiring the garage, Christmas present ideas for family members...you name it, I think about it. And I have lists for everything...written on scraps of paper on the kitchen island, written in a spiral notebook, typed in Word documents, or typed in Excel worksheets...all in an attempt to be organized and plan ahead.
Jonathan and I decided after Isaac and Kathryn's first Christmas that we would limit gifts from us to the following: some thing they want, some thing they need, some thing to wear, and some thing to read. Santa will be informed of what they "want" and hopefully the Jolly Ol' Elf will come through (except for big ticket items like a new car, a trip to Europe, which I think teach our children NOTHING about working hard and saving for something they want--HUGE reason why our country is in the economic mess it is in--but that is another post for another time). In addition to the little rhyme above, each child will receive a set of Christmas pjs which he/she will open and wear on Christmas Eve. We want our kids to celebrate and love Christmas from another perspective, a non-materialistic perspective, a Christ-centered, family traditions perspective.
So while I was in the kitchen one evening earlier this week, the kids were playing in our bedroom and Jonathan was keeping an eye on them. The following conversation occurs:
Jonathan (loudly from our bedroom): "Are the kids supposed to be playing in the basket on your side of the bed?"
Jessica (loudly from the kitchen): "Not really."
Jonathan (loudly from the bedroom): "Kathryn, let's put Mommy's heating pad back in her basket. Go show her what you've found, please."
And into the kitchen comes Lil Miss Cutie Pie...
Jonathan and I decided after Isaac and Kathryn's first Christmas that we would limit gifts from us to the following: some thing they want, some thing they need, some thing to wear, and some thing to read. Santa will be informed of what they "want" and hopefully the Jolly Ol' Elf will come through (except for big ticket items like a new car, a trip to Europe, which I think teach our children NOTHING about working hard and saving for something they want--HUGE reason why our country is in the economic mess it is in--but that is another post for another time). In addition to the little rhyme above, each child will receive a set of Christmas pjs which he/she will open and wear on Christmas Eve. We want our kids to celebrate and love Christmas from another perspective, a non-materialistic perspective, a Christ-centered, family traditions perspective.
So while I was in the kitchen one evening earlier this week, the kids were playing in our bedroom and Jonathan was keeping an eye on them. The following conversation occurs:
Jonathan (loudly from our bedroom): "Are the kids supposed to be playing in the basket on your side of the bed?"
Jessica (loudly from the kitchen): "Not really."
Jonathan (loudly from the bedroom): "Kathryn, let's put Mommy's heating pad back in her basket. Go show her what you've found, please."
And into the kitchen comes Lil Miss Cutie Pie...
When Isaac saw what Kathryn had on her feet, he wanted to get in on the action too!
So I have added to the kids' Christmas idea lists "slippers". I think a set of Swedish moccasin slippers with some cute Hanna Andersson pjs I purchased at Costco last week (for a STEAL) will fit the some thing to wear category just fine! Nothing like a little planning ahead prompted by play time!
1 comment:
Cute pics! My mom always did the pj's on Christmas Eve.....wait a minute...she still does! And we always loved that tradition!!
Post a Comment