Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorable Memorial Day Weekend...And It's Only Sunday!

Keeping with the current trend in the Haines Household, Isaac surprised us with a few more "firsts" yesterday and today. We can now add clapping and pulling to a standing position to his repertoire. Here's a picture of him pulling up to a standing position in pursuit of some wipes this evening.

















The Haines family also experienced a first we had hoped to avoid all together, or at least delay the experience until the kids were a little bit older. We had our first automobile accident with the kids yesterday afternoon. Jonathan and I escaped with minor injuries. Jonathan sustained two cuts on his melon: one has been sealed with medical super glue, the other secured with three staples. (He really impressed the medics as the staples were put in without any anaesthesia!) I have a fractured big toe and am wearing a stylish black boot for at least six weeks. Both Jonathan and I have a few bumps and bruises, but Isaac and Kathryn...NOT A SCRATCH ON THEM! The other gentleman was jostled around, but opted not to receive further treatment after the medics examined him at the scene.

Poor Meems! The accident occurred at the bottom of our driveway. She was sitting on their front porch next door working on her laptop and heard the impact. By the time she ran down her driveway, Jonathan was out of the vehicle and I was climbing out of the vehicle. Seeing how calm we were let her know that no one was severely injured. I am sure she will never forget the sound or what she thought in those moments following the accident.

Unfortunately, our beloved Bertha (Ford Expedition) is most likely totaled. The medics told us repeatedly that they could not believe our injuries were not more severe based upon how the vehicles looked. And Jonathan received high praises for how well the car seats were installed. (Go Daddy!) We were informed that we should purchase new car seats since our current seats were involved in an accident, even though there is no visible damage to the seats...and we most definitely will be purchasing new Britax Boulevards once the dust settles from this most recent event. I truly believe the combination of where our vehicle was hit, Jonathan's excellent installation of the seats, and the superior safety features of our seats kept the kids injury-free.

All of us feel truly blessed to have escaped with relatively little injury from such a traumatic event!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh no! I am so sorry about the accident. I'm so glad the little ones are ok and I hope you and Jonathan heal from your injuries quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hey there.
Glad everyone is safe w/ only minor injuries to the "big kids" AND that the little ones are ok. Hope that you have a very uneventful rest of the holiday wkend. (Well, not including the kids developmental surprizes!)
Take care