Monday, December 15, 2008

Four Months and Counting

We had our four month appointment with the pediatrician this past Friday. The appointment was at eight in Powdersville, which means getting up around five-thirty to get myself ready, feed the kids, get the kids ready and load everything up with the goal of leaving the house by seven fifteen...AT THE LATEST! We made it out of here by seven twenty-five...I really can't complain...we still got there a bit before eight, but I hate cutting it close. I did not get a full breakfast that morning...I ate a banana on the ride to the doctor's office. (Not good for a b'fding mother to skip meals!) Next time I will pack more in my bag just in case.

The appointment went really well. Isaac weighs in at 12 lbs even, 25 inches long. Kathryn is 11 lbs 9 oz, 25 1/2 inches long. (I think she is secretly planning on catching up to her "big" brother.) I had a LONG list of questions for the pediatrician. I purposely chose her because she has 6 1/2 year old twin girls. Not only does she have the medical knowledge, but she has the practical knowledge of raising twins. I picked her brain on several subjects...one being nap times and how long to let them cry. She offered several suggestions on both...which is another reason why I like her. She does not try to tell me how to parent my children, she simply offers advice.

One point I found rather interesting is she suggested that I nap Kathryn and Isaac in separate rooms until they both got the napping thing down. The idea is one may be disturbing the other with his/her cries. She found her girls napped better separately for a period of time. I am giving it a try for two weeks and then I'll re-evaluate the situation. Now I have no plans of separating them at night. Currently they are co-sleeping in a pack n play in our room. When they are moved to the nursery, though, they will sleep in separate cribs, but the same room. Hopefully separating them will help me get to my goal of good naps during the day!

Isaac and Kathryn also received their second round of shots during this appointment. That went better than expected. When Kathryn received her first round of vaccinations, she screamed at the first shot (they get three each) and did not soothe until I was feeding her. When Isaac received his first round, he did not cry until the third shot and soothed without being fed. For the second round, Kathryn screamed at the first shot again, but soothed as soon as I picked her up. Isaac cried at the first shot, but also soothed as soon as I picked him up. Not too bad for two tired babies, in my book!

We took our Christmas card group photos last night and I ordered the cards today. The card has four pictures on it and I think it is quite cute! Here's one of the pictures...

Meems purchased winter hats for Isaac and Kathryn last week. Jonathan thought it would be cute if we took a picture of the four of us with "ski" hats on. I'm holding Isaac, Jonathan is holding Kathryn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jonathan and Jessica,

We just received your Christmas card and it is adorable. Dad is on his way home finally! I sent your Christmas presents out and they should be there either Wednesday or Friday, hopefully Wednesday. Enjoy your Christmas and know that we are thinking of you! Give a kiss to Isaac and Kathryn for us.

Jonathan, Sorry that we missed sending a card for your Birthday. I wish you a belated Happy Birthday. Dad tried to call but did not reach you. I am sure he'll call you over the holidays.

We wish all of you the most beautiful of holidays.

Love and Hugs,

Donna