Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Firsts" Update

Saturday we had our first play date. A friend and her twin girls came over Saturday afternoon. We met each other through our prepared childbirth class for multiples offered at the hospital. Well...kinda... She and her hubby were registered for the class, but due to hospital bedrest, they were unable to attend. One evening while we were touring the hospital, she was out on her daily "twenty minutes of freedom" and we were all introduced. We began exchanging e-mails and our friendship developed. Her girls are 2 1/2 months older than Kathryn and Isaac. It was so nice to spend time together and meet her girls in person! Sofia and Olivia are such sweethearts! (We both neglected to take pictures of the big event, but we promise to next time.)

Sunday Jonathan and I decided the kids were ready to experience rice cereal. I feel that Isaac has been showing signs that he is ready for solid food for several weeks now. (Every thing is in his mouth and he watches us very intently when we are eating.) I wasn't sure about Kathryn, but felt we should include them both. So I mixed up one tablespoon of the rice cereal with a little breastmilk and a lot of water. Kathryn ate three bites and was done. (New experience = unsure Kathryn.) Isaac slurped down the rest of the cereal himself. He LOVED it! After each and every bite, he would bring his fingers to his mouth and suck them along with any remaining cereal with such glee. It was hilarious!


Also on Sunday, I finished assembling the Exersaucer (a task I started on Saturday evening) and thought it was time to give the kids a new play time experience. And what an experience it was!! Although Isaac and Kathryn are not quite big enough to sit in the Exersaucer seat without a blanket or two tucked around them, both enjoyed the new toy. Kathryn immediately discovered if she touched certain buttons music played and lights flashed. Isaac took a bit longer to figure that out, but he quickly found out he could move around in a circle to play with different toys. (I continue to be amazed each day at how differently boys develop than girls!)


The weekend was so full of "firsts" that by Sunday evening poor Kathryn was just plain worn out!

1 comment:

Twice the Joy....... said...

Woo hoo rice cereal!!!! That's an exciting first! I'm glad to see the exersaucer went well, too. Wow -- you guys did have a big weekend of firsts!! Olivia and Sofia said they can't wait to visit again!