Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Are You There God? It's Me, Jessica Haines

Lately I've been listening to the podcasts entitled, "The Great Experiment" from Menlo Park Presbyterian Church.  John Ortberg was recommended to me during one of the darkest times in my life.  If you haven't heard Pastor Ortberg speak, I encourage you to take some time and listen.  Not only is he gifted speaker, but he is a remarkable teacher.  

MPPC is conducting an experiment during the season of Lent.  An experiment where we regular "Joes" look at how much we do life "with God".  This life "with God" is discussed multiple times in the Bible (Adam and Eve, Abraham, Isaac, and Moses to name a few) and we can see it firsthand through the life of Jesus Christ. The series references a book, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence, written in the 1600s by a Catholic monk.  (I haven't read the book, but am considering doing so after finishing the podcast series. I'm thinking it would be a good selection for my summer reading list...) 

I am truly enjoying the series, and trying, ever so hard, to open myself up to a life "with God", not just moments.  If you are interested in checking out the series for yourself, you can find it here, starting on February 19 with "A Jesus Way of Life". 

No comments: