Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Morning of MMO



Today marks Isaac and Kathryn's first day of Mother's Morning Out. To prepare the kids for this new experience, I started talking to them about going to "school" yesterday and all that "going to school" would involve...meeting new friends, playing with different toys, doing different activities, learning new things and meeting their teacher, Mrs. Michele. I think our preparatory talks were as much for me as they were for I&K.

This morning, I made the kids buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. The pancakes turned out alright...it was a new recipe and I think the griddle was too hot at first, but the kids didn't mind! After breakfast, I wanted to take a few pictures to mark their first day of school. Isaac was more than happy to oblige Mommy. Kathryn...not so much. So I snapped a few quick shots and we headed into town.

When we arrived, I unloaded Kathryn first (parents are supposed to walk children 2 and under into the building, children 3 and older get dropped at the curb). Well, she was ready to head into the building even though Isaac was still in the car! So I "convinced" her to join me on the other side to unload Isaac and we all headed into the building together. As we approached their classroom, I could hear that several children were upset. I thought, "Oh dear! Both kids are gonna freak out because of the upset children already in the classroom." I opened the classroom door and both kids stopped dead in their tracks! I had to gently push them into the room so I could shut the door.

Kathryn was quite taken with the girl nearest the door being comforted by the MMO director. (Her mother had apparently already left.) Isaac stayed close while I dropped off their sippys and diaper bag with their teacher. After depositing those, I encouraged the kids to come over and start playing with the kitchen set. We don't have one of those at home yet and it was a BIG hit during the open house, so I thought it would help them make the transition. They immediately began playing so I gave each one a brief hug and kiss good-bye and told them, "Mommy's going bye-bye, but she will be back later." and out I went.

After shutting the door, I peeked through the window (on the door) to confirm all was good. Both were busy playing with the kitchen set with a few glances around the room so I headed out of the building. Whew! I must admit, I felt a little lost at first...it is definitely a different experience, but I am sure once we get a few more days under our belts both the kids and I will truly enjoy this new adventure!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sounds like a pretty good first day. Hope things continue to go well. Such big kids now!