Thursday, January 14, 2010

`10 Plan in Action

Since Jonathan is out-of-town during the week, I have decided to do our weekly grocery shopping during the week. Less errands conducted over the weekend = more fun family time. I either ask Pop or Meems to "watch" I&K while I make the trip into town after their bedtimes (when one child is sick or bad weather is on the horizon) or I load them up and we three shop together.

Being the germ freak that I am, I refuse to use the only double cart available at our local grocery store. That thing is not only disgusting, but it is not the easiest cart to maneuver around the store. (I gave it a go once after disinfecting the entire cart...never again!) When I have the kids in tow, they ride in their double stroller while I pull a grocery cart along behind us. Fortunately, the store we frequent has super wide aisles and they don't put a bunch of crap in those super wide aisles. For now, this arrangement works well! But I digress...

When making my list for this week's trip, I noticed chicken leg quarters were on sale for $0.58/lb. (!) After reading that bit of info, this came to mind. (I LOVE this blog and follow it religiously.) Needless to say, I decided to pick up a 10 lb bag to cook, shred and add to our stand-up freezer. (I'm already envisioning chicken salad, chicken pot-pie, chicken noodle soup, chicken and broccoli casserole, chicken quesadillas, chicken tacos...the possibilities are endless!)

While I&K were playing before nap time today, I processed the entire 10 lb bag, dropped all but two pieces into my crock pot, and set it on low for 8 hours. This evening after the kiddos go down for the night, I'll de-bone and shred the quarters, stock our freezer with the fruits of my labor and set up the crock pot to make this overnight. Score!

No comments: