Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Navigating the 2:1 Nap Transition

We are in yet another transitional period here on the Hollow. One that at first appeared quite simple, but has grown more complicated over the past three days. We have entered the 2:1 nap transition.

When we first hit this transition, our lives were so busy and we were on the go so frequently, that we (really I) did not feel the full effects of THE 2:1 Nap Transition. The kids were taking naps in the stroller or in their car seats while Daddy and Mommy were running all over the place. On those days, the kids would catnap (~30 minutes) in the morning and take mega naps in the afternoon (~2+ hours), if we made it home for the afternoon nap. Or they would simply nap whenever they were in the carseats. Dispositions were cheery and we were none the wiser. If we decided to stay at home all day, the kids would take a morning and an afternoon nap (each lasting ~1 hour a piece). But during that time a daily schedule did not exist for us, so I think they were catching up on the days we stayed at home! Well, now that I have tried to reinstate "our usual schedule", I am finding what once was typical no longer applies.

Kathryn is our sleeper and would be happy to continue her two naps a day. As soon as her little head hits the crib mattress, she starts her "wind down" routine and slips off to the sweet land of slumber. Isaac, well, he is our monkey wrench. At this point, he is ready to transition to one nap per day. If he takes a long morning nap, I can forget his afternoon nap and brace myself for a rough late afternoon/early evening period with I-sicle. So instead of cutting Kathryn to one nap a day and forcing Isaac to try and take two, here's my plan of action:

Days We Are At Home: The morning nap will be 45 minutes, one hour tops. Yeah, I know, you are never supposed to wake a sleeping baby, but if it means they take an afternoon nap...I'm waking them up! On "stay-at-home" days, we will work on a long soothing routine before nap time in hopes that Isaac will at least take a refresher nap (~45 minutes) which will vastly improve his late afternoon/evening disposition.

Days We Venture Out: We will do so in the morning after breakfast. That way the kids can catch catnaps if they need to and we will be home in time for their afternoon naps.

It sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?! Now only time will tell if it helps us make it through this transition in one piece!

No comments: