First, a mini-vent, if you ever think stay-at-home moms have nothing to do all day long, let me quickly inform you that you are terribly mistaken. I seem to be subject to that train of thought here lately and frankly, I am getting tired of it. I don't sit around all day eating bon-bons and when I do have a free moment, I have hobbies that I enjoy participating in. (Like scrapbooking, reading, blogging, knitting, shoot...I even like to squeeze in a catnap while the kiddos are napping sometimes.) Anyhow, I guess I just need to learn how to say no and that would help with my current situation. Oh well...enough ranting...on to the fun stuff...let's talk about Isaac and Kathryn's first experience without power...
Isaac and Kathryn got to experience another first on Sunday night...their first snow in which we lost power. A tree fell across the street and landed on our power line, knocking the power out for both us and my parents (plus a few others along our road). It was 9:30 pm...I was on the phone with Meems discussing whether it would be ok to put blankets on the kids if we did end up losing our power and beep! Out it went! I say "beep" because our smoke detectors are hard-wired with battery back up. When we lose power, the detectors beep to indicate they have lost power and are now switching to battery back up. Isaac slept through the beep...Kathryn did not. Fortunately I was able to soothe her by simply talking to her while covering her up with a nice, thick, fluffy blanket. (I know...blankets before they are one is a big no-no, but I knew it was going to get cold in their room.)
So once the battery operated book light and white noise machine were in place, I decided to head to bed and read by oil lamp light. I read for quite awhile...and then attempted to sleep. I slept terribly...worried that I wouldn't hear the kids without the monitor, worried that they would now catch colds due to lack of heat, worried that they would suffocate under the blankets...it was a long, long night Sunday for me. Jonathan slept like a baby. At least our beloved Belle was restless with me!
Finally around seven am the kids woke up...and they weren't too happy...it was a cool 54 degrees in their room. (Can you say, "Chilly-willy"?!) So during the morning diaper change, they each were dressed in a long-sleeved onesie under their blanket sleepers and their winter hats were put on. Jonathan built a mini-fire to last us through breakfast and then the five of us (Jonathan, Isaac, Kathryn, Belle and myself) packed up and walked over to Pop and Meems...thank goodness they have a generator!
The kids did great at Pop and Meems. Our schedule continued as if we were in our own house. They took their naps in my old bedroom (one in my old crib, the other in a pack-n-play), they nursed, they ate lunch, they played...all as if we had never left home...and we were all kept nice and toasty by the gas logs and had POWER (even though it was limited). It was such a relief! And when the power came back on that afternoon...we decided to stay at Pop and Meems for dinner to give our house time to warm back up. All in all, it was a good day! THANKS, POP AND MEEMS!!!
(I know what we are purchasing this spring...I'll give you three guesses...)
No comments:
Post a Comment