Friday, February 5, 2010

Bring on the Shakes and Smoothies!

Once I decided to make Isaac and Kathryn's baby food, I purchased The Petit Appetit Cookbook by Lisa Barnes. I absolutely love this cookbook and use it quite often. Last weekend, we decided to mix up Lisa's Very Vanilla Shake* for the afternoon snack. We served the shakes in Tervis Tumblers at first and then switched over to bowls and spoons so Isaac and Kathryn could serve themselves. Needless to say, it was a mess!

While at Wal-Mart this morning, I found these handy sippys and thought they would be perfect to serve shakes or even smoothies to I & K. So this afternoon, I whipped up another batch of Very Vanilla Shakes and decided to give the new sippys a spin. (After sending them through the dishwasher, of course!) Kathryn polished hers off with a quickness we have not seen since her nursing days. It took Isaac a bit longer to learn how to use the straw, but with a few tips from Kathryn, he was soon slurping away like a champ. And the best part, NO MESS!!!!

I can't wait for them to try Lisa's Mango Tango Smoothie!



*Recipe for Lisa's Very Vanilla Shake (Ages 12-24 months)
1 large banana, frozen
1 T vanilla extract
1 c ice
1 c milk
1 T honey
Cut frozen banana into equal-size chunks. Put all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

No comments: