Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Intro to a Pickens Institution


After chatting with a friend last night about whether we still received questions/comments regarding our twins when we go out, I realized we do not go ANYWHERE, except maybe church. When Isaac and Kathryn first arrived, my mom and I tried numerous times to go into Greenville and shop. After multiple failures which resulted in 45 minute drives home with screaming babies and a very tired, frustrated Mommy, we decided to halt all shopping expeditions with Isaac and Kathryn until they were older (and hopefully more tolerable). Not to mention, we became nap Nazis after establishing The Schedule at four months old.






Well, this morning, that all changed! Nope! Jonathan and I didn't load the kiddos up and head into Greenville to hit the air-conditioned mall today...we decided to introduce Isaac and Kathryn to a Pickens Institution, the flea market (aka the jockey lot). After a nice breakfast of bananas and Cheerios (kids) and cheese omelets (Mommy & Daddy), we loaded up our double stroller, the front carriers, the diaper bag, two Sippys of water, two floppy hats, the kids (of course) and headed off to the biggest attraction in Pickens on Wednesday mornings for a couple of hours. I have to admit, I was a bit worried. We were skipping the morning nap to walk around a very crowded, hot outdoor space with A LOT of interesting people and their wares. Would this work well? How would the kids react to all these strangers? The heat? The noises? Riding in the stroller? Missing the morning nap? I am happy to report...THEY DID SPLENDIDLY!

Isaac sat in the front of the stroller, Kathryn in the rear and they took in E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. After walking around for an hour, I noticed they were looking a little sleepy so we reclined their seats. Both fell fast asleep and slept for about 45 minutes while Jonathan and I walked around checking out the fleas and their goodies. (Don't ask us about the plus sized panties and thongs we saw...the mental images those created were frightening!) Kathryn and Isaac rode in the stroller for two hours and did not complain about it one time. It was so much fun that we are considering a repeat performance next Wednesday, weather permitting. Something tells me we could be visiting the market MANY times in the years to come! (Oh...and this was Jonathan's first trip to the P'town Flea Market too!)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad that they did so well with missing the morning nap!!

It was great catching up with you last night! Hope to see you guys soon.

Nicole said...

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you were able to go out with them and have such a pleasant morning. And they are so adorable!

Thinking about you guys!

mimi said...

take me, take me!!! Going to the jockey lot was a highlight when we used to visit my cousin in Anderson and Greenville. I'm glad the kids were on their best behaviors...wait until they start saying...Mommy/Daddy, can I have this...can I get this..I want a slurpee... :-)